We take your privacy seriously.
1. The collection, management and use of your personal information by the University of Newcastle (“we”, “our”, and “us”) is governed by our Privacy Management Plan, and we will only collect, use and disclose your information in accordance with the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) and where applicable, the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW). To the extent of any inconsistency between this Privacy Statement and our Privacy Management Plan, the Privacy Management Plan will prevail.
What is the Australian Eating Survey® (AES)?
2. The University of Newcastle has established the Australian Eating Survey® Online (AES), a web-based suite of food frequency questionnaires (the Survey) designed to assess an individual’s habitual dietary intake, and provide individuals with immediate feedback on the nutritional adequacy of their diet.
Am I eligible to participate?
3. Individuals can participate in the AES:
- by “self-registration” as an individual user. You can register, provide payment and complete the Survey online, and you will receive a “real time” nutrient analysis and detailed individual report. Anyone aged 18 years and over may choose to self-register, and a parent or legal guardian of a person aged 2 to 17 years may register on their behalf, and access the AES; or
- by participating in independent research projects or services conducted by a third party, and completing the Survey at the request of researchers or other individuals or groups. Your responses to the Survey and reports are provided to researchers, individuals or groups who administer these projects and services.
What information about you do we collect and what do we hold?
INDIVIDUALS / PARTICIPANTS
4. People who register and complete the Survey, either through self-registration or through participation in research projects or services conducted by a third party, will provide personal information such as:
- date of birth; and
- email address.
5. The Survey will include questions concerning:
- your weight and height; and
- your diet.
RESEARCHERS, HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS OR OTHER SERVICES CONDUCTED BY THIRD PARTIES
6. Researchers and other individuals who conduct services who wish to utilise the AES for participants in their research and services will provide personal information such as:
- name; and
- contact details, including email address.
INDIVIDUALS / PARTICIPANTS AND RESEARCHERS, HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS OR OTHER SERVICES CONDUCTED BY THIRD PARTIES
7. You may choose not to provide us with the information we request but it may prevent you from completing the AES or affect the quality of the feedback you receive.
8. We will securely hold information you provide to us for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which we collected it. We take the security of data seriously and in accordance with our Privacy Management Plan obligations, we implement security safeguards to secure and protect all information which we hold from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
9. Information is maintained in electronic form and is securely stored. Information is only accessed by authorised personnel using secure logins and passwords. All personnel are subject to confidentiality obligations in the management of your personal information. All data is held in Australia.
Why do we need your information?
10. Your personal information may be used for purposes including:
- Research and purposes related to it;
- To assist us to improve the AES;
- To facilitate internal business operations, such as quality assurance and administration purposes;
How do we use and disclose your personal information?
The information you provide will be used to help you and to help us.
11. If you self-register for the AES, once you have completed the Survey, we will analyse your responses, compute estimates of your dietary intake, and then generate and send to you a report, by email, which is an overview of your nutrition profile based on your reported dietary intake.
- Your personal information may also be used for purposes including managing trends and demographics to assist us to improve the AES, and to facilitate internal business operations, such as quality assurance and administration purposes.
- If you consent, your Survey responses and the dietary analysis report will be disclosed to researchers within the University of Newcastle with all identifying information removed.
- If you participate in the AES as part of a research project or a service conducted by a third party, we will disclose your personal information to the researchers or individuals who conduct the service and who are responsible for the project or service and who will use your personal information for the purposes of that project or service.
- You may or may not receive a copy of the report, depending upon the protocols and procedures associated with the particular research project or service that you are participating in.
- If you provide personal information through self-registration for the AES, we may use your personal information to communicate with you about products and services which we consider might be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these communications at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email or by emailing EatingSurvey@newcastle.edu.au
- All personal information is stored in Australia on University of Newcastle servers. Personal information is not disclosed to any overseas recipient/s.
We use third party services to help us out.
12. We want to make clear that we will not sell any of your information to a third party.
13. We will not disclose your personal or health information to anyone except in the ways we describe in this policy, unless we are required to do so by law.
14. We may share your personal information to third parties for the purpose of:
- data analysis;
- testing; and
- Improving our services
15. Here we tell you what third party services we use, a bit about them, and what you can do if you want to opt out.
|Third party service||What it does||Can I opt out?|
|We use Google Analytics.||
Google is used to track anonymised user actions on the website to allow us to create more informed decisions on the future development of the site to provide better services and functions
So you know, we use the specific features:
|Yes. To opt out, visit this site or the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page.|
|We use Hotjar.||Hotjar uses analytical cookies to identify technical issues with the website.||You cannot opt out of the use of Hotjar.|
We use some cookies.
17. In accordance with obligations under our Privacy Management Plan, we protect all information which we hold from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Information is maintained in electronic form and is securely stored. Information is only accessed by authorised personnel using secure logins and passwords. All personnel are subject to confidentiality obligations in the management of your personal information. All data is held in Australia.
18. You may request access to the personal information that you provided to us at any time, and you can request that we correct that personal information.
We will give you access to your personal information, and will take reasonable steps to correct it if we consider that it is incorrect, unless there is a law that allows or requires us not to.
If we refuse to give you access to your personal information, or to correct it, we will notify you in writing and will provide reasons.
If you would like to access or correct your personal information, please contact us by email at EatingSurvey@newcastle.edu.au.
Request to destroy your personal information
19. You may request to have your data and personal information destroyed. Please contact us by email at EatingSurvey@newcastle.edu.au to request the destruction of your information we hold. If you participate in the AES as part of a research project or a service conducted by a third party, please contact the researchers or individuals who conduct the service or project.
20. We may need to securely retain some parts of your data for a specified time as per legislative obligations. This is in the case where some de-identified data has been used for research purposes. This data is anonymised to remove any identifiable elements to ensure your privacy is protected and will be promptly destroyed once the legislated retention time expires.
21. If you wish to make a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, you should forward a written complaint to EatingSurvey@newcastle.edu.au.
We will respond in writing within 30 days of receipt of a complaint.
If the complaint remains unresolved, you have the option of notifying the Information and Privacy Commission (IPC). Contact details can be found at IPC’s website: www.ipc.nsw.gov.au.
Changes to the privacy statement
22. We may amend this statement from time to time. If we make any substantial changes in the way we collect, hold, use or disclose personal information, we will publish an updated Privacy Statement on this website.